Mind maps versus concepts maps

Thank you, I enjoyed reading the material and collaborating on cacoo. This led to explore further. We were using terms such as mind maps and concept maps interchangeably, and I started to wonder what the difference was.

I really liked the inspiration site that described some of the different visualisation formats and differentiated betwen mind maps and concept maps. i think the vThe visualisation formats that can be used in this product give it an edge.
http://www.inspiration.com/visual-learning/graphic-organizers

I also found a really great article (through VPN/UBC library) “A comparison between concept maps, mind maps, conceptual diagrams, and visual metaphors as complementary tools for knowledge construction and sharing” Eppler M,J. (2006) Information Visualisation 5, 202-210.

It has a great series of tables that:
•    Compare the four different formats including –  definition, function, typical application context, core design rules, ease of learning
•    Identify the main advantages and disadvantages of each format

It also discussed the complementary use of all four visualisation formats, which was trialled in two bachelor classes and two PhD classes:
Step 1 – Conceptual skeleton diagram used to structure complex content in class/lectures
Step 2-  Mind maps used for note taking
Step 3 – Concept maps used as take-home assignments
Step 4 – Visual metaphors used to structure in-class discussions.

They found it enhanced motivation, attention, understanding and recall.

As I explored the literature I wondered about the impact of learning styles on use of  and learning from visualisation formats. I didn’t find too many articles. However one article of interest:

Kostovich C. T., Poradzisz, M., Wood. K, O’Brien K. L., (2007) Learning Style Preference and Student Aptitude for Concept Maps. Journal of Nursing education Vol. 46, No. 5: 225-231.
They found no relationship between learning style preference and aptitude for creating concept maps. They did however identify that using concept maps as teaching tools and “forcing” students to use this strategy even if it was not consistent with their learning style preference was beneficial for increasing the learners’ “repertoire of problem solving skills”.

Denise

Posted in: Week 09: Visual-Intensive Learning